This is a quilt I finished early this month, but I am just now getting a chance to upload photos of it. Nadine R. made this quilt for her daughter-in-law’s first child. They aren’t sure of the sex of the baby, so she made it gender neutral. It is a gorgeous quilt and she did a beautiful job on the top.
I didn’t want to take away from the simplicity of the applique, so I stitched in the ditch around each animal and on all the seams including whiskers and stripes. The background fabric has ribbons in it, so I wanted to duplicate the ribbon effect in the quilting.
Here is the lion
and the giraffe. The rest of the applique quilting is very similar.
I used used Mindy Casperson’s 4-in-1 tool to make the border curves and again I put the ribbon curls in the centers to continue the ribbon theme.
The alternate blocks were inspired by a design from DeLoa Jones book. She used the center curved diamond shape to make the quilting look like a snowflake from the back with other continuous curve designs. I used that with the ribbons. This is the back of the quilt – if you will look at the top edge of this block, you will see the elephant’s trunk sticking down into the block.
This photo is from the front of the quilt.
Nadine also pieced the back of the quilt with nine patch blocks and framing. I had to be really careful when loading the quilt that I kept the seams on the back side offset slightly from the outside edge of the top. I can’t imagine trying to bind the quilt with the backing seams all around the edge! The outside white frame was designed to be at the outside edges of the quilt. That is what I had to be very careful to offset slightly – and it actually came out really well!
This is a photo of the back showing the border quilting.
Another of the border…
And this is the corner of the quilt from the back.
This is the lion applique from the back. You can see the outline around the whiskers, ears and mane. Nadine had used buttons for the eyes, but since this quilt was for a baby, she was planning on replacing the buttons with stitching, so the eyes will also be defined more from the back when the quilt is finished.
I was really tickled with the way this quilted up. I think Nadine was really thrilled with it as well.