Quilter’s Accountability Report – February 16, 2011

It has been a busy week again! I haven’t gotten as much done as I would have liked…..(I know, so what is new?!). We had company all weekend and the guest had to share a room with my longarm. Needless to say, I didn’t get a lot of quilting of any kind done this weekend. Fortunately, I was able to get some done before and after the guest left.

Last week’s goals –

  1. Finish Nina’s quilt – DONE!
  2. Start and finish another customer quilt – On the machine
  3. Make a plan on the binding for Deb’s GMFG and settle on a fabric, get it cut out if possible – Partially
  4. Find my lost items for my project – Done!

Here is Nina’s quilt finished –This is Nina’s first quilt so had some issues with fullness. She sure learned a lot while making this. It is for her granddaughter’s Sweet 16 Birthday.

This is a close up of the quilting. I did an all-over freehand filler in the center of the quilt, then did the three borders separately.

This picture shows the three borders. I repeated the main motif from the center of the quilt in the pink border, then did curly que’s in each of the purple borders.

This picture shows the texture on the back of the quilt. Gorgeous!

I didn’t get my second customer quilt done, but at least it is on the machine. I did get another quilt done though. This one is a gift for my brother’s soon-to-be-born baby. Mom informed me this weekend that if Shelli hasn’t had the baby by this coming Sunday they will induce her. So I had to get the top quilted!

The top and the bottom will be trimmed off to match the wedges prior to binding. It was easier to hang and photograph like this! These two photos show more of the quilting.

This is the back of the quilt. I used the left over pieces from cutting out the wedges to make the strip across the back.

I love the texture also!

Now that gives me three quilts to bind!

Speaking of binding, I decided to use the medium solid blue for binding on Deb’s Grandmother’s Flower Garden. I didn’t have enough in stash, but I stopped by Hobby Lobby and found the exact same color.The binding isn’t made as I just picked up the fabric yesterday morning.

My final goal for last week was to find a lost item so I could start another project. The lost objects were the circular needles seen in the picture below. I had put them away somewhere safe and couldn’t find them!

Yes, the sock knitting bug has bit me also. I have wanted to make them for a while, but the problem was I didn’t even know how to knit! With some help from on-line friends Judy Laquidara at Patchwork Times, Mary Johnson at Mary Quilts and of Heartstrings fame, and last-but-not-least, Dawn “The Pajama Quilter” Ramirez, I formulated a plan and am now beginning to learn to knit. I am teaching myself to knit Continental-style using the internet and videos. I have been working on the knit stitch for about a week and have it down pretty well. Yesterday was my first attempt at the purl stitch and it went pretty well if I say so myself! I still have a lot to learn but am at least starting. There has only been one bump in the road so far….the Hunter saw me knitting the other day and asked what I was doing. I told him learning to knit so I could make socks for us. He asked if I didn’t already have enough bad habits! Hmmmm…What is up with that?!

This week’s goals –

  1. Finish customer quilt
  2. Prepare for the string quilt workshop
  3. Bind Lilli Grace’s quilt
  4. Make binding for Deb’s Grandmother’s Flower Garden

This is going to be another busy week, so I am going to stop here. I did do some of the prep work on the string quilt workshop coming up on Friday. Here are a couple of samples –These are the scraps left over from Lilli Grace’s quilt. It started as 14 fat quarters and some white muslin. I combined these scraps with the leftover trimmings of the white muslin after the quilt was quilted and trimmed, and with the selvages from the fat quarters to make these blocks –

I also pieced this string block

The workshop is shaping up. I am going to demo various ways of making string blocks as well as showing how to use selvages to make string quilts….you never know, someone else might become as excited about selvages as I am!

 What have you accomplished this week? What do you absolutely have to get done next week? Share your trials and tribulations with us and let us encourage you on your journey….

Accountability report links

Here is Mister Linky – join in the fun anytime – just for a week or a month or the rest of the year… let us know what you have accomplished. We would love to have you join us!

I will check in with you later this evening!

Advertisements

One thought on “Quilter’s Accountability Report – February 16, 2011

  1. I love the quilting on the baby quilt… Just love it. I have been thinking of learning to knit myself but I have not tried yet.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s