Remember my project for this month? I linked it up with Melissa at Sew BitterSweet Designs at the beginning of the month here (#39).This is Charlotte’s quilt and it needed the binding hand stitched down and a label prior to being shipped off. I finished it up pretty easily, thankfully!
Here is the whole quilt. I fell in love with the cat fabric!
I used a wonderfully cuddly pink and white flannel on the back. Little Charlotte lives near Cleveland and the extra cuddle factor is very important!
Here it is, folded and ready to be packed in the Hunter’s travel bag. He left Monday for Cleveland and a visit with Charlotte’s dad.
I am so excited to finally get this off the list and headed for a wonderful little girl!
I have linked up with Sew BitterSweet Designs Finishes Party here. Don’t forget to go visit both Sew BitterSweet Designs and at Fiber of All Sorts and see what everyone else has finished up!
Ella finished up her quilt last week.
Here she is working on the binding. We stitched it down on the longarm, then finished it up with the sewing machine. She did really well!
I can’t wait to see it washed! Great job, Ella!
I have a group of 4-H students I am teaching to quilt. Two of the girls, sisters Ella and Rory, didn’t have a working sewing machine at home, so they have been coming here to the house to work on theirs. They have been working hard and both have their tops finished. As they finish their tops, I am going to teach each of the girls to quilt on my longarm.
This week we have been concentrating on quilting Ella’s top. Yesterday she spent some time with a practice piece on the longarm and learning to follow a pantograph. This afternoon she quilted a couple more rows on the practice piece, then we loaded up her quilt,
This was near the end of the quilt, and her curves were getting much smoother and she was much more comfortable.’
She was concentrating! She did phenomenal on the quilting and the back looks awesome also! I will have more pictures as we finish it up completely.
Here she is with the quilt.
Next up – binding!
WARNING – picture heavy post ahead!
I have had a customer quilt on the machine for a while now, and finally delivered it to her yesterday. I fell in love with this quilt, and had so much fun quilting it! This quilt belongs to a wonderful gal in the guild, Barb M, and she made it for her daughter after she (Barb) was diagnosed with breast cancer. The pink in the quilt is for breast cancer, and Barb wanted the quilt to have an old-fashioned feel.
I had to look the name of the block up in BlockBase and it is called “Love Chain” or “Atlanta” and is numbered 1023 in BlockBase. It was almost 100 inches square, so you can see it hangs down on the floor some at the bottom.
My inspiration started with the light-colored border – I wanted Twirly Whirly Feathers ala Kimmy Brunner in the border, and since it is only 6″ wide, there were a lot of them!
Here is another shot of the quilt, still on the frame. There was fullness in both the pink outer border and the light tan border, so the heavy quilting helped to draw it up. I love the undulating line of the feathers in the pink border!
And another close up of the light tan border. I quilted continuous curves in the pieced border – regular CC in the pink and brown and a little bit of line dancing in the light tan.
This picture shows a closer shot of the center of the quilt as well as the border. I did the same CC in the chains as in the pieced border, just did the line dancing in the 9-patch sections and the regular CC in the rest. The brown/pink frames were stitched in the ditch.
This was so much fun to quilt!
I hope Barb’s daughter loves it!
We used a double layer of batting – Pellon’s Nature’s Touch 100% cotton on the bottom and Hobbs low-loft polydown on the top. I used Superior So Fine thread both top and bottom.
I love it!
I so can’t believe it is the last day of March! The month has flown by….and I have gotten very little personal quilting stuff done.
I have been spending a lot of time with the 4-H quilting group that I am leading. The girls are learning to make quilts and two of them don’t have a working sewing machine, so they have been coming over once a week to work on their projects. I am going to have to get some photos and post them…they are doing such a wonderful job! Anyway, between that and snow days early in the month and sick kids at the end of the month with Spring Break in between, it just hasn’t been happenin’!
These are the last of the Birds in the Air blocks that I need to make. There are 24 here, and I only needed 23. These were done early in the month.
That was all I did. I haven’t touched anything else of my own. At least that makes my total 147 blocks for the first quarter of the 350 Block Project! Still above the goal, but if I’m not careful my head start will be gone before I know it.
Just so you know I haven’t been totally slacking off from quilting for the month, this is a picture of the latest customer quilt I am working on. This is made by Barb M. from my guild.
I wasn’t sure what the name of the pattern was, but I found it in Block Base and it is called Love Chain. This quilt is for Barb’s daughter’s marriage, so very appropriate! I only have the outer pink border and a little of the off white border to finish up. I will be glad to get this off the machine!
And just to show you another little project, Munchie was in a 4-H skit where the club did a take off of the hit movie “Frozen”. We were tasked with providing “Olaf” and here is what we came up with!
Well, at least his head anyway…and he keeps losing that in the movie also! Not too bad!
Anyway, Shelly over at Prairie Moon Quilts did so much better on her blocks than I did this month. Skip on over there and see what everyone else accomplished!